Marching Band Membership
Membership in the marching band is voluntary, but attendance at all rehearsals and performances is mandatory. See more about this in the “band handbook.”
The marching band performs at halftime of home varsity football games. The band also performs at competitive contests and festivals; approx. 5 contests per season. The format of most of these contests prelims / finals with both afternoon and evening performances. The marching band also performs various community support appearances based on need and accessibility including the Madison Central Homecoming Parade and the Richmond Christmas Parade.
Since the marching band is an extra-curricular activity, its rehearsal schedule falls almost entirely outside of the typical school day. Marching band rehearsals are as follows, but not limited to:
- Visual Camp (New Members and Seniors): 3 days meeting from 3:30pm to 5:00pm after school during the month of May.
- Summer Brass and Woodwind Clinics: Highly encouraged – from 11:00am-1:00pm on Tuesdays in June and July.
- Band Camp: Begins approximately the third week of July
- School Day Rehearsals: 3:30pm to 6:00pm rehearsal Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
- Stadium Rehearsals: Thursday nights from 5:30pm-8:30pm. This is a great time to come early and watch your student with a good vantage point.
- Extra Rehearsals: Typically 3 Saturday rehearsals in the months of September and October.
Academics are one of the most essential components of the band program. Last year’s 50 marching band seniors averaged a 3.4 GPA (unweighted) and a 24.15 ACT score. Band students are expected to stay on top of their studies, be leaders in the classroom and contribute positively to the morale of Madison Central. Participation in the Marching Band should not be and has not been a prohibitive factor to academic success at Madison Central.